What Are 5 Benefits Of Mindfulness?
Over the past several decades, cultures across the globe have worked their way into being very focused on success and creating a fast-paced world. Along with this, the birth of technology has made the world more connected than it has ever been before. All of this has factored into an epidemic of anxiety and stress-ridden people roaming the world.
There are quite a few benefits that you can take advantage of when you instill mindfulness practices into your life. Not only will you reduce stress, but you can also help increase your focus, build better relationships, increase your confidence, and be less impulsive.
In this article, we are going to look at five benefits of mindfulness, along with some actions you can take to instill mindfulness practices in your daily life.
Mindfulness: The Core Principles
Mindfulness practices bring with them attitudes that not only do you have to embrace, but in the end, you wind up cultivating. Though there are specific benefits to mindfulness practices, these core principles of mindfulness can be looked at as benefits as well, as they will be the tools you use to find your path to balance and happiness.
- Non-Judgement - In mindfulness, you are aware of your surroundings but do so in a compassionate and nonjudgmental way. Judging people is a human behavior that many of us have, but by doing so, we not only reduce their experiences to preconceived notions, but we also limit our ability to grow.
- Patience - One of the best ways to deal with excessive stress and anxiety is to build a level of patience that allows you to react calmly and have complete self-control. On top of this, patience also helps develop compassion, not only for yourself but for others.
- Observer - Being observational is one of the core principles of mindfulness because to stay present in the moment, you have to continually observe your surroundings and your feelings. On top of this, being an observer allows you to look at the world from a fresh perspective and be more accepting.
- Trust - Building a sense of trust in yourself and your feelings can have a world of impact on your mental and physical health. Understanding and trusting these things will allow you to build a deeper connection with yourself and the world around you.
- Acceptance - One of the best ways to overcome any mental or emotional distress is to build the ability to accept what is happening. By doing this, you're able to be in the present and take everything as it comes, reacting to it and allowing your body to feel what it needs to feel to find its way to the other side.
- Non-Attachment - Holding on to things that don't serve you anymore is something that many people find themselves doing regularly. But by holding on to things, you are living in the past, and that doesn't allow you to be present. So, cultivating a let-it-go attitude toward the things that are no longer beneficial to you or your life can help you combat stress and anxiety.
What are 5 Benefits of Mindfulness?
As we said above, there are a wealth of benefits to including a mindfulness practice in your life. There are a handful of ones that are maybe the most beneficial. So what are these five benefits of mindfulness? Let's start with the big one...
Many of us struggle to deal with the intense and rapid-fire demands that our families and careers bring into our everyday lives. Being on edge all the time activates our bodies in fight or flight mode, and this keeps us on high alert, causing severe stress. By engaging in consistent mindfulness practices, you can actually reduce this stress. By allowing your body and mind a little quiet time, you can create a calm environment which is beneficial to both your mental and physical states.
Part of the reason many of us struggle with focus and concentration is that there is so much happening around us that our brain is always trying to take in everything. But by focusing on so many things, we can lose track of the thing right in front of us. By including in your daily routine things like meditation or journaling, you allow your mind to get rid of all the excess noise and focus on what's at hand. This can also help improve memory and other cognitive abilities.
The main reason that individuals struggle with this hectic and fast-paced life is that as we're meeting situations, we are reacting with our emotions instead of stopping and taking in the situation to logically work our way through it. This heightened level of constant emotional reaction causes our brain to overload, and this can be why we are so highly stimulated at all times. By calming ourselves and being in the moment, you allow yourself the space to really process your emotions and not be as reactive to intense situations.
Because there are core principles that are cultivated by utilizing mindfulness practices, oftentimes you're going to see an improvement in your relationships, both in your career as well as your personal life. This is because you are not being as reactive nor being as judgmental, and this breeds acceptance and understanding. Both of these features are important in creating solid foundations for relationships and building loving connections with the world.
By understanding your behavior and interactions with everyone around you, you can become more self-aware. By being more self-aware, you often find yourself building self-confidence and being able to really be present in your life. A lot of the time we go through the world kind of on autopilot, but by utilizing mindfulness techniques, you are bringing yourself into the here and now, and being present for your life and those in it. This will build self-confidence that gives you the ability to really follow your passions and embrace the world.
A Few Ways To Incorporate Mindfulness Into Your Life
After looking in-depth at these five benefits of mindfulness, you might be thinking to yourself, “how am I going to incorporate those into my daily life?”. There are actually a lot of great ways to do this, and below we are going to take a quick look at a couple of those.
Creating a morning routine that is designed specifically to cultivate a calm mind looks different for everyone. Some people incorporate things like yoga or meditation into their morning rituals to create that peace of mind they need to make it through the hectic day. The main thing to do is to find what works and creates that balance within you, and then consistently execute it daily.
Part of a good mindfulness practice is being in the moment and really observing how things around you make you feel. So taking time to eat mindfully can help you create a well-balanced spirit. This may look like eating slowly and thinking about what you're putting in your body. It could also simply be making sure that you're eating things that are healthy and bring you all the nutrients and vitamins you need for the day. Like every other mindfulness practice, this is something that can only be decided by you and your body.
Throughout your day, as you're starting to feel anxious and stressed, taking some time to slow down and really observe your surroundings and your feelings can help you remain in the present. This may look like taking a walk at lunch and absorbing the energies from the nature surrounding you. Or it could be simply stepping into a quiet space and observing your thoughts and feelings.
In almost every mindfulness practice, breathing is an important aspect of it. By utilizing breath work techniques, you can calm your mind and slow your thoughts down so that you can dissect them and feel them. By taking this time to do some breath work, which can be done anywhere you are, you remain in the here and now, which will reduce your stress and anxiety.
So there are five benefits of mindfulness one can take advantage of and a few ideas on how to incorporate them into your daily life. We certainly hope that by taking a look at these, you can see the advantages of utilizing mindfulness strategies in your life so that you can work your way to living a more balanced life that leaves you happier and healthier.